Saturday, January 17, 2009

Neopolitan Baked Ziti

So today I cooked dinner for David and Ryan (his roommate). I offered to do it because they are two guys and their idea of cooking is throwing a frozen pizza in the oven. I figured they needed a home cooked meal.

So, anyway I was wondering what to cook and wanted to try something different. I saw an episode of Rachael Ray's talk show and she was making a really yummy looking pasta dish she called Neopolitan Baked Ziti (you know Rachael with all of her cutsie names). I changed it up a little bit and it turned out fantastic.

All you do is cook the ziti, then toss it in tomato sauce (I made my own) with some browned hamburger meat (I added this, Rach's was meat free). Put the pasta and sauce in a baking dish. This is the part that makes it Neopolitan: you top it with a white sauce. I made a quick roux with butter, flour, and milk and then just poured it on top. Of course then I topped the whole thing in Mozzerella and Parm cheese. It bakes on 400 degrees for 25-30 min or until bubbly!

They loved it! It was so yummy. I served it with bread and a salad and even made Oreo pie as dessert. The best news: there are tons of leftovers! YUMM!

3 comments:

Staci said...

Sounds good. We have pasta nights on Monday's. Maybe I will try that for this week!!!

Shae said...

Sounds great, I am particularly in the mood for that oreo pie, I had some the other night and it was sooooo good. OK, its like 4:30 and I haven't had anything to eat all day so I think I better before I run up to bob evens and buy a whole one just for me lol.

Jessica said...

I got the oreo pie in a no-bake dessert kit at Walmart. All you do is add milk and butter. It was super easy and super cheap (under 3bucks)...not too mention SUPER YUMMY!