Sunday, January 25, 2009

Such strange feelings...

So, tomorrow is an important day. I start practicum. For those of you who may not know, practicum is kinda like an internship. I work with a RN and basically do her job for 200 hours. She is right there with me and helps me out, but I do all the meds, IV, procedures, assessments, etc.

I am half excited and half scared out of my mind. I am excited because this is what I have wanted to for so long. I love children and the thought of getting to be part of their care is amazing. I am thrilled to be able to see what my future job will be like. I know I will learn so much.

I am terrified because I do not feel ready. I do not know enough to be a nurse. They say everyone feels this way, but I don't like that. I am one of those people who does fine if I know what to expect. I have not a clue. Clinical and the real world of nursing are completely different. I just don't want to do anything stupid (which is easy when you are completely wiped with so many 12 hour shifts). I will be working like a mad women to try to get all these 200 hours in as fast as humanly possible. This week I work Monday, have class Tuesday, then work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! These are 12 hour shifts (7a-7:30p). Then next week I have class on Tuesday and work Wednesday and Thursday. The schedule repeats it self after that. So, I will be working every other weekend for awhile (except I am NOT working on Valentine's day...I am spending it with my David)

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE my preceptor (the nurse I am working with) and am glad to have such a cool, young nurse! If you think about me tomorrow please say a prayer. I will try to update soon and let you know how it is going! LOVE YOU ALL!

4 comments:

Staci said...

I will be praying for you, I will tell Chris to pray for you too! I know its going to be challenging, but God will be your strength! I'm excited for you! I would trust you with my children if they were sick!

Jessica said...

Thanks! That means a lot that you would trust your kids with me (although I hope they are NEVER in the hospital!) They are BEAUTIFUL by the way! I love Chloe's blonde hair!

Shae said...

I completely know how you feel jess. I mean I think about how much of this computer junk I try to squeeze in my head every semester only to have it all disappear after classes are over. Then I feel no more prepared to go looking for a job after this is over then I did when I started. I have even thought of taking extra classes that are not required just to have more practice time but from what I hear the only way to get there is to just get a job and start doing it every day. In your case they are using this to help get you there now. I was telling my aunt about it and they said that sounded great and that they didn't do that at her school and she wished they had because when you get out there for the first time you feel lost. So don't feel bad if you do something stupid now, that is why you have someone with you, just take advantage of this and try to feel like this is your first nursing job and you are just learning all those things everyone has to when they start.

I on the other-hand am going to continue to freak out about my first step that direction. I need to look into an internship too but maybe not this semester. I think the fall will be a little lighter so I am going to try to take get into one then. I just hope it doesn't go as bad as I am afraid it will. Some days I hate computers for just being so unpredictably so why on earth do I want to get a job that requires to to predict them.

Any way let me know how today went. I want to try and post a blog about my crappy day but right now I don't know if I will get around to it or not.

Love ya,
Talk to u later

Jessica said...

Thanks for all the prayers! I absolutely LOVE it and will post more when I am not so completely wiped out!