Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Mastering the Art of Ironing

So, I guess today has been rather boring. David left this morning and took his car, he usually drives mine. The problem is that we have only one key to my car, and he has it. So, yep, I am stuck here all day. Woohooo...which isn't that bad considering the only place I was going to go was the grocery store. Oh my, I need a friend here in SA.

Anyway, I did some housework and cuddled with Laila and basically lounged around in my jammies all day. At some point this morning, I saw the iron. The iron and I do not get along. I normally end up getting frustrated with it and wanting to sling it out the window. Needless to say, my poor husband has to go around with wrinkly pants since the dryer just doesn't give dress pants that nice crisp look.

I starting thinking about how I need to learn how to manage this beast. My husband is a worship pastor now and he deserves crisp dress pants and I deserve to not cringe every time I go near that iron. It is a very nice iron and was a fairly expensive one that I recieved as a wedding present. So, I set a goal for myself today...learn how to iron dress pants, without crying and without any violence befalling the iron.

I searched online for tips and found a really good article that explained step by step how to properly iron dress pants! Wow. So much I didn't know, like the fact you are supposed to turn them inside out first and iron the pockets, waist and fly. This makes ironing the pants SO much easier. The hardest part is lining up the pants so you get the nice crease down the front.

I spent almost an hour wrestling with about three pairs of pants...they are not perfect, but they are 100% better than most of the pants I have ironed in the past. I am proud of myself and can add a new skill to my list. And I did not harm the iron one little bit in the process, it did however burn one of my fingers.

Anyway, big day for Jess...I know, I know, I need a friend like I said, or maybe a job, or both!

1 comment:

Shae said...

Trust me I know how you feel, I keep wishing I could just go make a friend. I think sometimes it is hard simply because I am in this limbo of friendship types. I am out of the teeny booper friend mode of looking for someone just to talk about makeup and silly stuff with and really need to be able to talk about important stuff. Still I'm not a married woman with 2 kids and a dog either. I meet people my age and they are just a passing ship, too busy to do anything and not really looking for new friends as many of them have live here a lot longer then I have. I don't like being the one to have to ask if we can grab a bite to eat or go see a movie but at some point I guess I am going to have to. I can't take not having anyone to just call up and go shopping with. I have yet to figure out how you develope close relationships from a five minute conversation when everyone I have ever had has come from years of growing up together.